Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable?

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:37:36 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1136999861.330722_at_jetspin.drizzle.com...

> I have been involved with a number of meetings with CIOs, CFOs and their
> auditors and in one specific instance had an auditor refuse to sign off
> on a financial statement due to the lack of audit trail with respect to
> the providence of the numbers he had been provided. The company is NYSE
> traded and the auditors one of the big-five.
>
> Similar advice has been given to other companies in my presence as well
> by three of the big-five.
>
> But lets put a bit of common sense into this discussion. What auditor is
> going to risk government intervention in their life by signing off on a
> financial statement from which they have no guarantee that the numbers
> are real? Would you do it? I know I wouldn't. And these days C-level
> management can risk fines and jail time doing so if they are caught by
> either the government or by angry stockholders.

I don't dispute any of this. What I am anxious to know is whether any auditor has expressed an opinion about the relative suitability of closed source, open source, and shareware DBMSs, in your presence. Have they, in these terms, said anything about what DBMS software is acceptable?

Roy Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 18:37:36 CET

Original text of this message