Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable? (Was: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?)

From: Bruce Lewis <brlspam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 09 Jan 2006 08:28:50 -0500

Alexander Schreiber <als_at_usenet.thangorodrim.de> writes:

> Add backdoors and things get even more interesting. One commercial
> database (ISTR it was Interbase) shipped with a backdoor for years that
> only got discovered (and removed) when the code finally went Open
> Source.

Quite true. It's a good thing the Sarbanes-Oxley statute (a U.S. law, not an international law, by the way) does not require companies to trust Oracle et al more than they trust their DBA. However, the statute does seem to leave it up to auditors to determine what constitutes appropriate controls. I'm curious as to what auditor told DA Morgan that he had to use a closed-source product that is supposed to be tamper-proof. KPMG hasn't told my employer anything like that. Received on Mon Jan 09 2006 - 14:28:50 CET

Original text of this message