Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable? (Was: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?)

From: Marc Schoechlin <mslists_at_256bit.org>
Date: 8 Jan 2006 11:47:18 GMT

Hi !

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schrieb:

> Some day open-source databases may be competitive with those built by
> the big three just as Linux is now competitive in the area of operating
> systems. But that day, for databases, is not today nor anytime within
> the next two to three years.

This is FUD :-)

I used postgresql in software-projects for the first time in 2001 for really business-critical systems without any real problems or limitations.
Doing general evidences in a way like you do, shows me that you only want to create a distrust for opensource-databases.

I'm currently administrating a large webapplication of a global-player in the automotive-business. We are running lots of db2-instances(over 50 instances, with sizes between 500MB to 10 GB) which are used in high frequency by the webapplication. We use DB2 because this software is defined as an enterprise-standard - but in my opinion and experience postgresql could do this job in a more performant, reliable and cheaper way.

The question of the competitiveness of a opensource-database with a commercial system could not be answered in general, it depends on what you really need :-))

Best regards

Marc Schöchlin Received on Sun Jan 08 2006 - 12:47:18 CET

Original text of this message