Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:55:54 GMT

dawn wrote:
> Frank Hamersley wrote:

[....]

> If the data model visualized on the screen has one instance of an ID
> and the SQL view backing that screen has many instances of this same ID
> value, then the data models are different.

Are we talking about the model or manifestations of it (instances)?

[..]

>>I think you have expressed most clearly the core of the problem
>>troubling you.  It seems you can't accommodate the SQL outcomes because
>>it doesn't have a "shape" that you are comfortable with.

> I'm actually quite comfortable with it, but I don't see an advantage to
> using it to the extreme typically employed with SQL-DBMS's.

I'm missing something - what is the "extreme" bit?

>>That is
>>something for you to deal with although I suspect you are not alone.
>>The vast number of cursor happy application developers are a testament
>>to that.

> I like set manipulations, but have no need to block other types of
> access where useful.

So do I, and I rarely find other types of access useful. Admittedly there are some and I will freely confess to the occasional use of a cursor as a last resort.

>>Good luck on the journey Grasshopper!

> Much appreciated Master.

Thats a good first step :-)

>> BTW may good fortune also attend the blog.

> Thanks, Frank. I don't know how many cdt readers will take the journey
> with me as there are a lot of relational disciples here who might have
> had enough of me. I will only announce the first entry here. I am
> working hard to ensure it is accurate, easy to tell when I am stating
> facts compared to opinions, bold, and a good read. It will come out
> next week. Cheers! --dawn

Personally I'm a bit over blogging per se, but will take a look at least when you inaugurate.

Cheers Frank. Received on Sat Jan 07 2006 - 12:55:54 CET

Original text of this message