Re: What is Pick anyway?

From: Dale Benedict <dale_knowspam_benedict_at_flightcraft.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:49:44 GMT

"DonR" <donr_work_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1135887701.045569.82060_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

<snip>
> The assembler code, PROC and variable record lengths provided a very
> efficient system. System with 64k, yes k, of memory could run several
> users. Although hardware cost hundred of thousands of dollars customers
> bought them because other systems cost even more and did less.
>
> One other vendor I haven't mentioned is Revelation Software. A
> company of 5 people called COSMOS wrote Revelation in the early 80's.
> They actually wrote an emulator on a Pick system that emulated the
> Intel 8086 chip prior to the availability of the IBM PC! Thus
> Revelation was one of the first software packages for the PC. The
> entire program came on one 360k floppy. I know because I still have it!
> Revelation Software still sell a character based version but also sells
> a GUI version called OpenInsight. It runs on Windows and Linux.
>
> To be continued with BASIC and the Pick file system.
>
> Cheers,
> Don

I remember 10 to 15 years ago having the Pick System running on a 286 -12 Mhz with 2 MB of memory servicing 10 users. It was a very quick accounting system and seemed to out pace DOS applications on the same style of box.

Another client I had around the same time, had a machine with 100 MB of disk and could only keep 3 weeks of accounting data using some DOS package. They could never do a proper month end. They were converted to a Pick based accounting system, giving them multi-user access, a much more robust accounting system, and 50 MB of free disk space.

Regards,

Dale Received on Thu Dec 29 2005 - 23:49:44 CET

Original text of this message