Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2005 07:39:22 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
> > After David decided to bypass my response to his challenge,
>
> Challenge? What challenge?

Perhaps that was the wrong word - I was referring to your question below this paragraph. I didn't mean to imply you were challenging me to a duel or something, but that you put forth a challenging question or at least one I took as a challenge.

David:
> If there's something wrong with SQL, can you identify what's wrong?

I didn't want to start with NULL, transitive closure, or other well-worn topics, and I didn't want to sound like a broken record with 1NF, so I indicated a by-product of some of the SQL issues.

Dawn:
You cannot back an arbitrary "screen" (UI, e.g. web page) with a SQL VIEW even though views need not be normalized.

I knew the thought was less than crisp, so I anticipated a response that would prompt me to be more precise (and did get that yesterday). In the mean time, I started to write it up in a blog because I liked the point I was attempting to make even if I didn't think I had worded it in a way that made the point clear here. --dawn Received on Thu Dec 29 2005 - 16:39:22 CET

Original text of this message