Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2005 19:40:46 -0800

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> dawn wrote:
> [..]
> >
> >>If there's something wrong with SQL, can you identify what's wrong?
> >
> > I believe that over the past couple of years I have identified several
> > things that make it a less productive tool than what I might want.
> > I'll give just one example: You cannot back an arbitrary "screen" (UI,
> > e.g. web page) with a SQL VIEW even though views need not be
> > normalized.
>
> G'day Dawn, I am intrigued as to what an arbitrary screen is and what
> the hitch is in using a view to populate it? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks for biting, Frank (and I'm always charmed by the "G'day Dawn" greeting from folks down under so I'm guessing that is where you are).

After David decided to bypass my response to his challenge, I decided I would write this one up in one of my first entries in the blog I'm starting in the new year. I'll give a quick response here, but I'm hoping it is not too irritating to point you to the blog entry after I post it.

The question is not whether one can use a (SQL) view to populate a screen, but how one would prepare a (not-necessarily SQL) view to precisely model a screen. What is the data model behind a screen that has a set of radio buttons, a drop-down checklist, a multi-selection drop-down, and a name and address, for example? So I'm not suggesting that the data could not come from a SQL view, but that it cannot be modeled by one.

Did that make sense? Thanks. --dawn Received on Thu Dec 29 2005 - 04:40:46 CET

Original text of this message