Re: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:22:35 GMT

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:32:23 -0800, Karen Hill wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer so I can't comment on this. But does US laws require
> Oracle if you are a business? I can understand in the medical
> profession that may be a requirement, but other instances? What about
> MS SQL SERVER? Isn't it based off of the same codebase of Postgres?
> Is SQL SERVER FACTA, HIPAA SarbOx compliant?

A paraphrase of SarbOx indicates it simply requires that you can prove auditability and accountability for all financials-impacting transactions.

Which, to us in computing, means extremely tight audit trails and ability to prove that those audit trails can not be modified.

Are you aware of the ISO 900x certifications? If so, this is the same thing ... a mechanism of keeping accountants, especially forensic accountants, happy with sufficient guarantees that they get all the pieces of paper or virtual equivalent, that they can nail the bad guys. (Bad guys being those who mess around with accounts.) (Nailing being 10 years jail time + $4M fine for the CEO ... who ain't going to take it alone if [s]he can spread the joy.)

(Don't insult PostgreSQL that much, please. SQL Server is the spawn of Sybase - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com