Re: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:23:17 GMT

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:07:51 -0800, Karen Hill wrote:

> Not unless you use PostgreSQL. No license costs there. For those that
> are starting out, PostgreSQL is a good alternative before moving onto
> Oracle when they get bigger. Remember not everyone has the luxury of
> having unlimited Fortune 500 funds to aquire the best DBMS like oracle.

So adding CPU (purchasing a bigger box) is also not an increased cost, is it?

>> What you really want is intelligent use of those features.
>>

> Hans, Tom Kyte is an Oracle writer. He has a vested interest to say
> that. I would think throwing developer time to rewrite something is a
> *lot* more expensive than throwing in an extra CPU. Maintaning bug

You would not say that if you met him. He is an Oracle person because he believes in what Oracle brings to the table, not because Oracle pays his salary.

> free SQL code for multiple vendors seems like big trouble. Remember,
> SQL is supposed to be platform independent unlike what we saw pre SQL.
>
> I would like to hear others opinions on this.

Example:

User wants, or needs, some Oracle feature. (Eg: Oracle Spatial.) Oracle Enterprise costs $50,000/CPU. Your 'database independent' desire has caused the need for 1 more CPU.

I can buy a fair bit of developer time for $50,000

If I can get the same feature done in 1/2 the developer time, by using a developer who understands the environment and the locking model, AND I can save that CPU, I have won twice.

I get called in on this kind of thing regularily - often converting multi-page 'build dynamic statement and execute immediate' to one or two relatively SQL statements. (Great revenue stream, but very frustrating that the new kids on the block put out such crap. I'm a 'teach a person to fish' kind-a guy.)

Believe me, or not ... I've been on your side of the table. It ain't blind faith that put me here after 35 years of programming and 25 years of database development and admin.

I encourage you to take the time to read the book I referenced. If you are a serious developer, it will be refreshing to see the approach to testing and performance measurement and management, if nothing else.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com