Re: General Graphs in SQL

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Dec 2005 12:37:36 -0800

>> Do I understand correctly that they are trying to show how hard it is even for an expert to do in SQL compared to using their product? <<

Actually they asked me how to do graphs in SQL and I told them that I had found how to do trees (via nested sets), but I was not happy with general graph solutions (adjacency lists and enumerated paths).

>> If so, what is the data model behind their product? <<

I do not know the internals. You can define nodes and multiple kinds of directed arcs and then extract sub-graphs with a graphic query tool.  Pure classic graphs.

My favorite example was a "unreturned U-Haul" node and a "bought fertiizer" node in the crime reports. Their product then returns a network with the renter and the buyer, shows us they are blood-related, did prison time together and both visited a dam last week. Red Flag!! The NYPD looks for matching patterns and returns a result when they have three or more similar crimes with this tool. They also do business with the NSA. Received on Sat Dec 17 2005 - 21:37:36 CET

Original text of this message