Re: What does this NULL mean?

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:55:43 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>One thing that I think is very
>>important is a change in how the RM is taught at the undergrad level.
>>It is taught as if it was handed to us as truth by God herself.  There
>>are many ways to model propositions for data processing, the RM being
>>only one of them (and not the most flexible IMO).

> I think this is close to the heart of the matter. Not this particular
> topic, but the underlying matter that we always seem to come back to. I
> would ask if the axe is sharp enough yet, but I don't wan't you to misread
> that phrase like last time.
>
> First, I find it extremely odd that RM would be taught as revealed truth.

I think you have to factor in how the recipient receives the teaching. The questions presented in the exams of my day were clearly oriented to determine the C student who could just remember enough of the revealed truth to garner a pass, the B student who could remembers quite a lot and finally the A student who remembered and understood the principle and could apply it to the novel problem lurking in the question.

Then factor in a normal distribution and voila the ayes have it!

Cheers Frank. Received on Fri Dec 16 2005 - 13:55:43 CET

Original text of this message