Re: What does this NULL mean?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:52:45 GMT

Alexandr Savinov wrote:

>>> Well then neither does the original database design.
>>> One is just as critical as the other.
>>

>> What I mean is that they don't have significant differences. The
>> catalog is a database like any other and we already have excellent
>> (theoretical) tools to manage databases.

> Catalog and (user defined) database belong to different layers. They
> have so big differences that cannot be viewed as one data model. Just
> for example:
> - what is row in catalog can be a dimension (column) or a table in user
> level model.
>
> For example, delete a row from a table in your database catalog. What
> happens then? Probably, a column or a table will be deleted. But it is
> not described anywhere in your model because there is no such a model
> that could handle such dependencies. This behaviour is hard-coded into
> every database system rather than is part of its data model.

Not all of them. I knew of one product that did exactly what Alfredo suggested but the users were so indoctrinated that it had to invent ddl to make them happy even though that wasn't needed. I'd say Alfredo is simply pointing out that if the 'catalog' is modelled in ways similar to an application, then some leverage is obvious, ie., ddl becomes a mere shorthand for 'dml'.

Under the covers, using 'dml' will result in a smaller engine but more importantly one that is less prone to inconsistencies, not just in ordinary behaviour but in security, triggered procedures and so forth.

I suspect many of the current products failed to realize this resulting in all kinds of language oddities and more concepts for users/programmers to learn.