Re: Knowledge and Ignorance over Time

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:42:07 GMT

"Jay Dee" <ais01479_at_aeneas.net> wrote in message news:qF5of.179726$Hs.49758_at_tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> frosty wrote:

> > Jay Dee wrote:
> >
> >>Close, but:
> >>Area of a sphere = 4 pi r^2
> >>Volume of a sphere = 4/3 pi r^3
> >

> > I believe the word "like," in this context, means "in proportion to."
> > So, you are both right.
> >
> No "correction" was intended -- just clarification. Picky? You bet.

Believe it or not, I left the coefficients off of area and volume intentionally. What I wanted to make clear was the metaphor between linear, quadratic, and cubic. I felt I could deliver that metaphor more clearly without the "4 pi" and "4/3 pi" than with it. So I used the word, "like", a word often used in metaphors. Well, actually, if you want to be picky, the word "like" is often used in similes, not in metaphors.

I think that theory is more about abstraction than it is about attention to detail. But others may differ.
If one were to program the calculations, the precision of the formulas you cited would be necessary.

> Prickly? Sorry if it seemed that way; pedantic precision might be
> expected in a group named *.theory.

Yeah, it is. Sometimes it moves the discussion forward. Sometimes it doesn't. Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 10:42:07 CET

Original text of this message