Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:19:35 +0100

On 11 Dec 2005 16:16:14 -0800, jason.glumidge_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 23:34:03 +0100, Jon Heggland wrote:
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> And yet, that is all there is to it. A NULL in a database is exactly
>> like an empty cell in a spreadsheet - there's room where you'd expect a
>> value, but when you look there is no value.
>
>Hi Hugo, I wonder if that is a completely accurate comparison? For
>example if I say that spreadsheet cell A1 is empty and A2 = A1 + 7,
>then A2 resolves to 7.

Hi Jason,

You've answered your own question :-)

No, the comparison is not completely accurate. Far from. The way NULL is treated in a database may have it's issues, but it's at least lots more consequent than how spreadsheets handle empty cells.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)