Re: Knowledge and Ignorance over Time

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:05:11 GMT

"David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:HXPnf.2507$pF.1490_at_trndny08...

> "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message
>
>> Humans have three inner capacities: instinct, intellect and intuition
>> whereas
>> the environment of database theory really is only modelling the
>> intellect,
>> which
>> is essentially machine-like in its operation.
>
> Could that be because we are running our databases on machines?

The intellect uses the "machinery" of logic and set theory, and is thus (in theory) machine-like in the evaluation of what the intellect perceives as "logical truth".

I recently read a book in which the author makes the following assertion:

"The individual human mind is like
a remote connection to a database.
The database is human consciousness itself, of which our own cognizance is merely an individual expression, but with its roots in the common consciousness of all mankind"

I found this an interesting claim from a database perspective, and wonder to what degree such a database may be seen as "relational" or otherwise.

--
Pete Brown
IT Managers & Engineers