Re: Knowledge and Ignorance over Time

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:42:58 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> At some point, this looks like a case of diminishing marginal returns. But
> I wouldn't choose to go back to being as ignorant as I was when I was
> twenty, even if I got to be as smart as I was when I was twenty.

Yeah, I was a lot smarter at twenty than I am now but I'm now 'more' of other things, like 'humble'.

I think it was Mark Twain who said that when he was sixteen he thought his father was an idiot. When he was twenty-one, he couldn't believe how much the old so-and-so had learned in five years.

In my 'teens I thought everybody over fifty should be 'shot'. In my twenties, I looked forward to being fifty since I would know so much more. Once I hit fifty, I realized I didn't want to know more and was happy to know fewer things better. Quality not quantity, I say. Same goes for 'technology'.

p Received on Wed Dec 14 2005 - 02:42:58 CET

Original text of this message