Re: Best Windows-based database for replication/synchronization

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:08:13 -0000

Ingres r3 is free and includes a replicator. Look at www.ingres.com.

> A customer has asked me to upgrade a system I did for them many years
> ago, based on Microsoft Access, in order to improve the response time
> when the loading is heavy. Presently, the web server and the database
> server are on two different machines and I think the communication
> between the two is the bottleneck when traffic is heavy.

I think you are right. Network I/O is very slow and erratic. Networks are good at moving huge chunks fast, but they are not real prompt about moving any given chunk. Except on a dedicated cable expect wildy variable response times. Add interprocess communication delays and context-switching delays on top of that. Once the average service delay exceeds the average interval between requests response time goes approximately infinite, with little or no warning.

> I'm wondering if a synchronizing database would be an effective
> solution without having to rewrite a lot of ASP code.

Maybe.

Roy Received on Tue Dec 13 2005 - 10:08:13 CET

Original text of this message