From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:14:12 +0100

In article <1134060567.603337.103190_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, boston103_at_hotmail.com says...

> I am missing something. If you store/use NULL as a logical value, haw
> can it *not* belong to the logical vaue domain with its logical
> operations? Sorry, but that does not make sense.

Just like NULL does not belong to the integer domain, even if you store it as an integer value. I don't see the difference.

> > I see no more problems than NULLs cause in numeric computations.
>
> The point that in such logic you cannot derive anything, or a good
> deal of expressions in such 'logic' cannot be judged equivalent does
> not strike you as odd ?

Well, of course it does. Just as it strikes me as odd that in the integer domain, neither x * 0 nor x - x is equivalent to 0. But that's NULLs for you. I don't really like them much.

(I must admit though, I haven't thought this through completely. It just felt good to treat NULL consistently in both truth value domains and other domains. :)

--
Jon