From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:08:52 +0100

In article <tsbhp1dl9592eqd6b3j78boa18dlk7veds_at_4ax.com>, hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo says...
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:48:47 +0100, Jon Heggland wrote:
>
> >Of course it can be handled differently. I just don't see why my initial
> >design should be disallowed.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> It should be disallowed because you store something that can be
> calculated from base data instead of storing the base data.

What is "base data" is determined by the database designer. It is a subjective judgment.

[snip alternative design]

All this still just says that you can live without truth value columns, and I am well aware of that. That the answer I get when I ask a person in real life will not actually be a "logical value" is not all that relevant; a database is a *model* of the real world.

I really didn't know that truth valued attributes were so abhorred, though. Interesting.

--
Jon