Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2005 18:41:19 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > If you were to look at the dollars spent on U2 and the dollars spent on
> > DB2, ... I'm certain there are many more features in DB2, and I
> > respect the product (without having used it in any production
> > environment) but it is SQL-based which might explain why I suspect
> > suspect that if we could have a database-shootout for use in software
> > development, U2 just might win.
>
> You're begging the question.
> If there's something wrong with DB2, can you identify what's wrong?

I have not spent enough time with DB2 to do anything more than lump it with other SQL DBMS tools. Sorry.

> If there's something wrong with SQL, can you identify what's wrong?

I believe that over the past couple of years I have identified several things that make it a less productive tool than what I might want. I'll give just one example: You cannot back an arbitrary "screen" (UI, e.g. web page) with a SQL VIEW even though views need not be normalized.

> What's a "database shootout", anyway?

I can't believe i called it a shootout when I could have called it a bake-off. It is a competition. Because most benchmarks in the dbms area are based on SQL, there is standard way to give comparison data of SQL DBMS tools with SQL-as-a-second-language tools (non-1NF DBMS's, for example). There could be a competition where requirements are given for an application and developers write the apps. A panel could judge the solutions. This tests the entire development environment, rather than strictly the DBMS, but a DBMS would be one of the tools in a winning solution. I wish I could find a competition like this. Last year Spectrum International help one strictly for MultiValue/Pick vendors. --dawn Received on Fri Dec 09 2005 - 03:41:19 CET

Original text of this message