Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 4 Dec 2005 16:36:54 -0800

Roy Hann wrote:
[snip]
> If you have a Boolean variable then you know that its missing value must be
> drawn from only the Boolean domain. The appropriate way to think of the
> missing information is therefore not as an empty set, but as something that
> is simultaneously all possible values from the Boolean domain. The Boolean
> variable thus might be T, F, or T/F (where T/F is a kind of superposition of
> all permissible Boolean values).
[/snip]

I wonder if you are heading for a more probabilistic approach here? I'd contest that something can simultaneously possess all possible boolean values, but it can certainly have an equal probability of being one of those values (Schroedinger's boolean?). That would allow a probabilistic truth table:

T & T = 100% T
T & F = 100% F
F & F = 100% F
T & U = 75%T 25% F
F & U = 25%T 75% F
U & U = 50%T 50% F

I suggest this only out of curiosity (to my mind a missing field means no matching proposition full stop, but lets leave all that m'larkey to the other thread). Received on Mon Dec 05 2005 - 01:36:54 CET

Original text of this message