From: vc <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2005 13:43:04 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
[..]
> As I comented a couple of weeks ago,
>
> A || EMPTY == EMPTY || A == A for every string A
>
> That makes EMPTY a pretty interesting string, from my point of view. I
> wouldn't want to confuse it with NULL any more than I'd want to confuse the
> integer zero with NULL.
>
> My comment drew no response. I'm not about to draw any inferences from
> that absence of a response.

I had not noticed your comment before I said, later, roughly the same with respect to the empty string vs. NULL:

"This empty string discussion is a bit strange to put it mildly. If one
remebers what a string is (a list of characters), then an empty string is just an empty list, a perfectly legitimate value that one can use in a very much the same fashion as the integer zero. "

Sorry for inadvertently appropriating your comment. Received on Sat Nov 26 2005 - 15:43:04 CST