From: <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 25 Nov 2005 01:03:29 -0800

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> michael_at_preece.net wrote:
> > FrankHamersley wrote:
> [..]

> >>Everything after the 1st sentence of the preceding para itself is worthy
> >>of NULL. Nuff said!
> >
> > Sorry - no. Not enough said by a long chalk. Everything stored on a
> > database is a known fact. What does datum/data actually mean? It is
> > ridiculous to store the "fact" that we don't know something. Only
> > inadequacies in a model can come anywhere near accounting for a need to
> > do this.

> What's ridiculous is citing a limitation in the number of atoms within
> the known universe to invalidate a model you prefer not to accept.
>

> <OT>Please humour me - if Pick is so much better please explain why in
> 30 years it hasn't smashed all competing products to oblivion?
>

> In doing so I suggest you don't rely on the "inadequate funds for
> marketing" or other circumstance arguments. Surely its superior
> handling of NULL (as one of the major bones of contention in the common
> SQL offerings) is so compelling that in the years it has had plenty of
> opportunity to dominate. To my knowledge it hasn't - at best it appears
> to be an "also ran".
>

> Why is that?

> Cheers, Frank.

Well Frank - I guess Pick must be crap huh? Happy? Of course - there is the possibility that it hasn't had the attention it deserves. "Circumstance argument!!!" I hear you cry. Nevertheless, I guess the fact that it hasn't been taught in many schools or universities could have something to do with it too. The local library and bookstore are unlikely to have many books on the subject for you to read - not that you'd want to read or buy them if they were there of course. Oh - and then, there is the fact that people behave a bit like sheep sometimes and tend to consider it safe, and "a good career move", to go with something that has wider acceptance, regardless of whether it is a better product or technology - which is, of course, self-pertetuating. Then again, there is also the fact that some "flavours" of Pick have tried to hide the fact that they're in any way connected with Pick. I could go on - but I won't. Do you sometimes wonder, though, why it is that there are people that pop up here and elsewhere from time to time that *really* like it? why they tend to "sing its praises" when they have nothing at all to gain? or why the reports of its demise have, for decades, been somewhat premature? or why, in all likelihood, your bank uses it (check for Globus)? or your car dealer? or many small to medium businesses in your town/city with no, or next to no, IT department? No? OK. Never mind.

Mike.
</OT> Received on Fri Nov 25 2005 - 10:03:29 CET

Original text of this message