From: <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 20 Nov 2005 14:15:18 -0800

David Cressey wrote:

> <michael_at_preece.net> wrote in message
>

> > For us Pickies it's easy - null is
> > equal to an empty string.
>

> That's easy, but it's also wrong. There are data processing situations where
> treating the string that doesn't exist as equal to the empty string will be
> an obstacle to success.
>
> I'm not going to go through the effort of setting up such a scenarion for
> you. As Bob Badour might have said, it's not my job to educate you.
>
> If you ever run into such a situation, perhaps you will recall this
> discussion. If not, then more power to you.

David,

The arrogance of that post is indeed reminiscent of that infamous cretin. How dare you talk down to me like that? What are your credentials? I have been programming since learning IBM 360 Assembler in 1976 - and I'm a bloody good programmer. I have no doubt that you know some things I don't. I am equally sure I have plenty I could educate you about.

I do not treat a string that doesn't exist as equal to the empty string. A string that doesn't exist is not null. How can it be equal to anything, null included, if it doesn't exist? A null does exist though - as an empty string. I believe Pick's definition of null is the correct one. It makes perfect sense. No confusion. Unlike SQL's definition. Admit it.

Mike. Received on Sun Nov 20 2005 - 16:15:18 CST