From: <>
Date: 20 Nov 2005 14:15:18 -0800

David Cressey wrote:

> <> wrote in message
> > For us Pickies it's easy - null is
> > equal to an empty string.
> That's easy, but it's also wrong. There are data processing situations where
> treating the string that doesn't exist as equal to the empty string will be
> an obstacle to success.
> I'm not going to go through the effort of setting up such a scenarion for
> you. As Bob Badour might have said, it's not my job to educate you.
> If you ever run into such a situation, perhaps you will recall this
> discussion. If not, then more power to you.

The arrogance of that post is indeed reminiscent of that infamous cretin. How dare you talk down to me like that? What are your credentials? I have been programming since learning IBM 360 Assembler in 1976 - and I'm a bloody good programmer. I have no doubt that you know some things I don't. I am equally sure I have plenty I could educate you about.

I do not treat a string that doesn't exist as equal to the empty string. A string that doesn't exist is not null. How can it be equal to anything, null included, if it doesn't exist? A null does exist though - as an empty string. I believe Pick's definition of null is the correct one. It makes perfect sense. No confusion. Unlike SQL's definition. Admit it.

Mike. Received on Sun Nov 20 2005 - 23:15:18 CET

Original text of this message