Re: Nested Sets vs. Nested Intervals

From: DonR <donr_work_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2005 08:15:58 -0800

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> DonR wrote:
> > dawn wrote:

> >>Of course you are right, Mike. smiles. --dawn
> >
> > Micheal and Dawn,
> > I see the folks here just ignored the Pick suggestion. This has always
> > been Pick's problem, the guru's think things have to be complicated to work.
> > Of course, if they were using Pick, they wouldn't need to be on here
> > discussing meaningless theory.
>
> To me "meaningless" is code for don't (or won't) understand!
>
> > I've worked with Pick for 20 years and haven't found a business problem
> > that Pick couldn't handle.
>
> I have never used (although I have worked alongside on occasions) Pick
> in 25 years and haven't found a business problem that can't be solved
> either.
>
> Cheers, Frank. (Ozi Ozi Ozi Oi Oi Oi)

Frank,
> To me "meaningless" is code for don't (or won't) understand!

You're right, I don't understand some of these theories but the point is, I don't need to.

My employer and our customers would much rather pay me for results than theories.

This entire discussion points out the adsurd complexities and limitations of SQL and relational systems.

Of course, Pick's biggest advantage, ease of use, is also one of it's downfalls. Most of the companies running Pick have one or two programmers which may have been an operator or an accountant prior to becoming the IT manager/programmer. This has resulted in a lot of poorly written programs and non-professionalism. Properly written Pick software is fast, flexible, stable and easy and cheap to maintain. What more could you want? That's why it's endured for 30 years.

Cheers,
Don Received on Thu Nov 17 2005 - 17:15:58 CET

Original text of this message