Re: Nested Sets vs. Nested Intervals

From: <amado.alves_at_netcabo.pt>
Date: 9 Nov 2005 03:06:48 -0800

Oops... you want to count the descendants. Sorry, browser problem. Ok, to count the descendants, I see you've already got good answers for SQL systems. Personally I would use a non SQL system, but that's another story.

/* Namely the story of graph-based vs. relational systems. "Relational atabases are universally conceived of as an advance over their predecessors network and hierarchical models." (Vadim on dbazine.com) This is probably true in the historical context of Ingres vs. Codasyl etc. but mostly a myth. Unfortunately Codasyl's demise is (incorrectly) perceived as a weakness of *all* graph-based data systems. (But why are file systems still hierarchical today?) */ Received on Wed Nov 09 2005 - 05:06:48 CST