Nested Sets vs. Nested Intervals

From: asdf <xyz91234_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 12:43:28 -0800

Hi!,

I am building a web directory similar to the dmoz and the yahoo directory. The categories get updated often.

How do I find the subcategories from just the names of the ancester and the current categories? For example, both the dmoz and yahoo directories have filesystem-like URLs instead of category IDs. How do I do that with nested sets or nested intervals? If not, how do they do it?

There should be a count for how many listings in each subcategory. It is much more efficient to count how many listings are in each subcategory with nested sets than the adjacency list. Is there a way to count subcategories efficently with nested intervals with farey fractions?

Thank you very much! Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 14:43:28 CST