Re: Modelling objects with variable number of properties in an RDBMS

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:31:47 -0500

"Bernard Peek" <bap_at_shrdlu.com> wrote in message news:xGctaeGgBWaDFwgS_at_shrdlu.com...
> In message <xpednZGpW5rOofTeRVn-pQ_at_comcast.com>, VC
> <boston103_at_hotmail.com> writes
>
>>> Should these tests really be considered attributes? Wouldn't the act
>>> of presenting them as a two-tuple relation <test#, test result> simple
>>> be an wise step of normalization - not an example of an EAV
>>> decomposition? Am I totally missing the boat on this?
>>
>>It's a single test with ~6000 measurements.
>
> That doesn't sound like something that requires multiple attributes. If
> it's a single test then the results are presumably in one domain so a
> single entity should work.

I am not intimately familiar with the testing process. According to the person who created the model, it's a drug discovery chemical compound testing process which runs daily. The test result for a given compound is represented by many thousands of numbers, hence 600 attributes per entity. They generated close to half a terabyte of experimental data each day.