Re: Modelling objects with variable number of properties in an RDBMS

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 00:57:04 +0000

In message <xpednZGpW5rOofTeRVn-pQ_at_comcast.com>, VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com> writes

>> Should these tests really be considered attributes? Wouldn't the act
>> of presenting them as a two-tuple relation <test#, test result> simple
>> be an wise step of normalization - not an example of an EAV
>> decomposition? Am I totally missing the boat on this?
>
>It's a single test with ~6000 measurements.

That doesn't sound like something that requires multiple attributes. If it's a single test then the results are presumably in one domain so a single entity should work.

What distinguishes one set of test results from another? Is it the time the test was done, the temperature?

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.