Re: Modelling objects with variable number of properties in an RDBMS

From: FrankHamersley <FrankHamersleyZat_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:33:12 GMT

VC wrote:
> "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>>VC wrote:
>>
>>>"Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message

>>>I beg your pardon ?
>>
>>There's an old saying "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water".
>>In this context, it means (roughly) make sure you don't lose the benefits
>>of the relational model by thowing away all the rules that help

> I know that, but what recipe does Roy suggest for, let's say, MS SQL Server
> that does not have either UDTs or other means to implement an entity with a
> higher than the table limit number of attributes, beyond offering a cute
> saying ?

It seems axiomatic to me if you have reached this point in your requirements you have selected the wrong database.

Was MS SQL selected before the requirements were expressed (1 black mark) or after (10 black marks)?

Cheers, Frank. Received on Wed Nov 02 2005 - 12:33:12 CET

Original text of this message