Re: Modelling objects with variable number of properties in an RDBMS

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:41:59 GMT

Roy Hann wrote:
> "Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message
>

>>You've been reading from your Asimov collection again ...

> Not just reading it, but so mesmerized by it that I actually thought I could
> do it.
>
> Just a couple of weeks ago I was invited back to a site where I have been
> persona non grata for over a year for not only refusing to sign off on a
> design, but also saying "you can't do that"--in fairly explicit language
> too. But you know what? They have not only come round to my view in the
> end, they now call the current approach "Roy's design".

This org (and its resident "Professionals") is somewhat unusual IMO.

Most (admittedly a highly qualitative measure, not) organisations in the first case have a corporate memory that isn't reliable enough to recall "Roy's Design" (sic viz caps) even existed, and secondly given the propensity to stuff up in the first place they aren't perhaps qualified to understand the finer points of "Roy's Design" and why it would make a difference any way.

I suggest it was the wanton use of expletives that created the cranial scar tissue needed to bring you back in from Siberia!

Therefore I take this to mean that when we achieve an unchallengeable "Professional" stature I will be licenced to curse in public without fear of reproach! Bring it on for #$%#&$$ sake! :-)

> The best part is, the next time I tell them something can't be done, they
> will listen before they waste a seven-figure sum. (I am not sure that is a
> burden I am fit to carry, but it feels good right now.)

Heh heh - perhaps we should also angle for a constitutional right that ensures we get 10% of the "wasted" amount should the "Professional" advice be rejected and the project tanks! This should cover the PI premiums in the event that a "few patients expire on our operating table".

Frank. Received on Wed Nov 02 2005 - 02:41:59 CET

Original text of this message