Re: Database design, Keys and some other things

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 08:39:43 -0700

This is tough. The distinction is really clear to me, but I'm not sure the slightly ambiguous terminology of 'surrogate key' is helping us - we're using it in two senses, so i'm going to invent some terms for those senses to help with this post:

"substitute key" - a key made up by datbase D to represent items within
its own data. It is owned, generated and controlled by that database D.

"representative key" - an identifier that exists in the real world (by
which I mean it exists independently of D), and is controlled by some mechanism other than D.

Now Database D wants to store information about a set of cars and it needs to specify a primary key - it might use a VIN (a representative key) or it could use some internally generated key (a substitute key).

All best, J. Received on Fri Sep 30 2005 - 10:39:43 CDT