Re: Nested sort, trying again

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2005 14:23:54 -0700

Bob Stearns wrote:
> In this case the tree is sorted in the order I want to present it to my
> users. Consider the tree z(y(x,w),v(y(t,s))) which would have a similar
> representation to the first on but which I wish to present to my users as:

> The question is: Is there an easy (relatively) way to produce this sort
> without a recursive sql user defined function?

I can't prove that's impossible, but here is some hand waving. Your output sorted the output by materialized path string

z.v
z.v.u
z.v.u.s
z.v.u.t

and the only way to produce such materialized path is recursion, or at least, a list aggregate function. Received on Thu Sep 29 2005 - 23:23:54 CEST

Original text of this message