Re: Database design, Keys and some other things

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 29 Sep 2005 04:33:21 -0700

Marshall Spight wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> >
> > Great example. King Milindi's chariot - a bhuddist philosopher used it
> > as an argument against essentialism, to illustrate that there is no one
> > attribute of an item that can define its essense.
>
> Sure, sure. Or the Viking Ship, or even just Grandfather's axe.
> Actually grandfather's axe is the best version of the story
> because it's the minimal version of the story. This is the
> sort of thing I found really interesting in high school. Ahem.
>

> > Course, this doesn't stop us
> > having usable database admin's handle it with good old common sense,
> > but imo it's certainly not a rock solid foundation for the theory.
>
> Oh, please.
>

> Marshall

If you were involved in AI research, whose systems have no common sense input due to their lack of situatedness, you would realise that these distinctions for the foundations of a data structure can be crucial.

Either way your post is sadly unconstructive, and something I would expect to see on Slashdot, not within a database theory discussion. Received on Thu Sep 29 2005 - 13:33:21 CEST

Original text of this message