Re: C# 3.0 with pseudorelational extensions

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2005 09:45:41 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> IMO, the most impressive part of the presentation was at the very end,
> when the talked about database organization of the developers code.
> "Select all the buttons and change their shape" didn't we ranted about
> it here 5 years ago? Therefore, it's not really about the integration
> of SQL with procedural programming (how can you embed high abstraction
> language with the framework of low one?), its extending the boundaries
> of database applications to novel areas.

I have no idea whether DLinq is well-executed or not. But I'm convinced that unifying the capabilities of the dbms and the general purpose programming language will lead to some great things.

I also agree that O/R mapping, as it is commonly practiced, is mostly about throwing out relational functionality and putting an OO face on what's left behind. And I'm convinced that this is *not* a useful approach.

Marshall Received on Sat Sep 17 2005 - 18:45:41 CEST

Original text of this message