Re: Modeling Address using Relational Theory

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:12:25 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126648672.176049.159620_at_g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> When students ask questions in this newgroup, then the Socratic method
> might be appropriate. I doubt there are many who read this group that
> aren't really clear that I do my own thinking (for better or worse), so
> I appreciated Marshall challenging you on this.

Good one, dawn!

> If modeling an address, before you start piecing it apart, you should
> figure out what your entity is. In the case of a complete address, I
> am modeling a location to which a physical item could be sent. You
> have pointed out that when you piece out the properties of this
> address, you need to understand the nuances of what the related values
> mean.

I would suggest that you are not only modeling a location, but also modeling a means of delivery.

There are cases where a package bearing a certain address label will be correctly delivered by the USPS, but
Federal Express will call back, asking for a clarification of the address, unless you use a different address label on the package you give them to deliver. Received on Wed Sep 14 2005 - 12:12:25 CEST

Original text of this message