Re: Indexes and Logical design

From: David Cressey <>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:47:14 GMT

"VC" <> wrote in message
> > It has to do with the real world. Nothing that needs to concern you,
> Very cute.

Thank you.
> > Not true. In DEC Rdb/VMS a unique constraint can be declared without
> > creating an index, if you want to.
> For toy tables probably. In 'real world', no.

In the real world, yes.

> > There are actually cases, though rare, where that's the right thing to
> For example ?

The exmples I would give aren't terribly germane to the main topic, nor would they prove any important points.

So I'm ducking the question.

> What kind of argument in favour of indexes being part of logical model is
> that ? Are you familiar with the notion of relevancy ?

Yes, the notion of relevancy IS important. But as long as you and I are as divided as we are about the nature of the real world, we are unlikely to come to a consensus about relevancy. Received on Mon Sep 12 2005 - 00:47:14 CEST

Original text of this message