Re: Indexes and Logical design

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2005 11:17:11 -0700

David Cressey wrote:

> Before I start, after thinking it over, I've decided that it's more precise
> to say that indexes and tables (in an SQL implementation) are not the
> logical model as such. They are the reflection of the logical model in the
> implementation.

That sentence works just fine for me.

I'll also agree with your point that, in fact, we working programmers actually do have to make these things we design work, and that definitely includes performance. A purely logical model is by itself not useful in building software (although it is useful in analyzing software.) It has to be coupled with an implementation to work.

Marshall Received on Sat Sep 10 2005 - 20:17:11 CEST

Original text of this message