Re: Modeling Address using Relational Theory

From: Tony Andrews <andrewst_at_onetel.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2005 08:08:55 -0700

dawn wrote:
> Tony Andrews wrote:
> > There is *nothing*
> > intrinsically ordered about addr1, addr2.
>
> You are right that I just don't get that. Why do you name them with
> words that indicate an ordering then?

Well, I didn't name them myself ;-) But anyway, the answer is - because in the absence of any better names, they have merely been named after their usual order of appearance when displayed! But I guess from your later responses to my post you realise that.

> I decided to bite the bullet and read the latest standards from usps,
> in spite of recalling them not to be very entertaining. The USPS
> domestic standards says
<SNIP>

In the UK we have a standard called BS7666 for address structure. I don't know it in detail, but it more or less consists of:

- Street Description
- Locality
- Town
- Administrative Area
- Post Town
- Post Code

There are some rules about which are mandatory and which are optional, and which combinations are valid. I guess Street Description and Locality loosely map to Addr1 and Addr2. Received on Mon Sep 05 2005 - 17:08:55 CEST

Original text of this message