Re: Looking for a discussion about generic datamodels

From: <schreurs_roel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2005 01:06:04 -0700

Thank you all for your replies. I want to thank you, Tony, specifically, since you pointed me to a discussion that I can refer to.

Also, now I know that the common name for this construction is EAV
(Entity-Attribute-Value), it has been easy to find out more about it.

The best statement I read about it, from a theoretical point of view, is the following:

"basically, it's Extreme generalization saying that every entity is made up of attributes, and that "made up" is the relationshsip, and that attributes may be on several entites"
(http://www.sqlteam.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40371)

Interpreting it as follows: Since you force this relationship onto your model, there is no room for any conceptial relationships to be enforced anymore. Received on Mon Sep 05 2005 - 10:06:04 CEST

Original text of this message