Re: Question about Date & Darwen <OR> operator

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:30:27 -0400

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:Pb6Se.67282$Hk.4881_at_pd7tw1no...
> the bit on pg 56 ...
> Hs = Hr1 union Hr2
> Bs = {ts: exists tr1 exists tr2
> ( ( tr1 in Br1 or tr2 in Br2) and
> ts = tr1 union tr2 }

If the above is indeed the <OR> definition, then I do not understand how it handles relations with the same header..

Let a tuple be a set of triples <A, T, v> (attribute, type and value). Further, let r1 and r2 be relations with the same header H. Now, what would be the result of tr1 union tr2 ? Obviously it's not a relational tuple any more because there are two attributes with the same name in the union. E.g.

tr1 = { <x,int,4>, <y, char,'a'}
tr2 = {<x,int,5>, <y, char,'b'}

tr1 union tr2 = { <x,int,4>, <y, char,'a'>, <x,int,5>, <y, char,'b'> }

What am I missing ?