Re: help with normalization

From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:27:44 +0200

In article <43185ca0$0$11070$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>, mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org says...
> Tonkuma wrote:
> > I think that you shoud consider to add forein keys and constraints,
> > before consider normalization.
>
> Some constraints, yes, but not foreign keys.
> Foreign keys are a result of the normalization steps.

Foreign keys have very little to do with normalisation. What you first and foremost need to do is to determine the functional dependencies. Without those, I don't see how it is possible to normalise in any systematic and formal manner.

--
Jon