Re: help with normalization

From: openleren <openleren_at_skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:46:49 +0200

Let me explain a little further: this is as far as I get:

STUDENT(studentNr{PK}, Name,..., classNr{FK}) TEACHER(teachernr{PK}, name,...)

COURSE(courseNr{PK}, name,...)

CLASS(ClassNr{PK}, description

ROOM(roomNr{PK},descript,...)

ROSTER(classcode{PK}, courseNr{PK}, teacherNr{PK}, RoomNr{PK}, period{PK})

In the last table I end up with the entire thing being a composite key. I suspect it should be split,

because...how do I control:

  • a class can only be in one room in one given period
  • a room can only be occupied by one class in a given periuod (the same thing)
  • a class can have only one course in a given period

Do I need to split this last table, and how?

thanks again, Jan