Looking for a discussion about generic datamodels

From: <schreurs_roel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2005 02:39:33 -0700

Every now and then, I come across a IT-project that stores its data in a generic data model. Such data models basically consist of 4 tables: Entities, Relations, Attributes and Values. The Entities table contains a record for each table in the conceptual data model, Attributes a record for each column, etc.
Invariably, the choice for such a data model is defended by the argumentation that new conceptual tables and columns can be added without modification of the data model.
This all sounds very nice, but I always have the idea that this comes at a price that may well be higher then the benefits it offers.

So, what I am looking for is a discussion, be it on line or in literature, about the pro and cons, as well as some list of recommendations to help me decide if such a model would be useful. Can anybody recommend a source of information?

Roel Schreurs
The Netherlands Received on Fri Sep 02 2005 - 11:39:33 CEST

Original text of this message