Re: Modeling Address using Relational Theory

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 20:49:44 -0700

AK wrote:
> it will be a little bit country specific. You could limit your
> application for only one country. Or if you cannot figure out all the
> details for all the countries up front, you might be better off with
> Line1, Line2, Line3. Alternatively you could plan to have country
> specific versions

I understand the Line1, Line2, Line3 implementation, but any model with those attributes screams "this model is not relational", right? I am thinking about categories other than performance for times when a good data modeler would decide not to implement the relational model of the data (thinking about OLTP [online transaction processing] -- ignoring BI [business intelligence], OLAP [online analytical processing], and data warehousing reasons for now).

I'm wondering what a good relational model would be in order to get more insight into this class of changes between relational model and implementation. Is there a known classification for the pattern that is illustrated with "address" in disregarding the relational model when doing the implementation?

Thanks. --dawn Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 05:49:44 CEST

Original text of this message