Re: Modeling Address using Relational Theory

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:56:11 -0400

dawn wrote:

> -CELKO- wrote:

>> Look at the US Postal Service specs.  You use a five line label with 35
>> characters per lines.  ZIP+4 is CHAR(9), the State code is CHAR(2) and
>> so forth.

> Yes, I've got the "representation specs" for an address on an envelope,
> but what is the logical relational model related to such addresses?
> Again, you can skip the city, state, country, and postcode unless they
> are not modeled with attributes such as city, state, ...
>
> What is a good relational data model for the rest of the address?
> --dawn

Dawn, there is no 'relational version' of the information, it is what it is. Put into a fixed-field width text file there would be fields, in an XML file there would be elements or tags or whatever, and in a table they would be columns.

An address is not subdividable in any way that requires normalization, that is why there is no "normalized" or "relational" way to store an address.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.