Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: dawn <>
Date: 27 Aug 2005 07:05:26 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <> wrote in message
> > Marshall Spight wrote:
> > > I don't use the word "pointer" for such things. If we broaden
> > > the term "pointer" that far, it stops meaning much of anything.
> > > The appropriately generic term for data that *could* serve
> > > as references to other data at the logical level is "data".
> >
> > That works for me too, but I read what was written at
> > about multivalue databases and
> > pointers and I don't get it. I've heard it before and I think it is
> > hogwash, but it keeps coming back up, and we have established in the
> > past (or at least I have) that sometimes I'm the one bringing the
> > hogwash, so I want to get this straight.
> I followed your link, and I saw no reference to multivalue databases. Did I
> miss something?

They mention "pick" (aka multivalue) in the multidimensional section (and there a logical connection, but we aren't talking typical MOLAP with pick) and sometimes pick db's do call themselves multidimensional, so I opted not to mention that little issue.

--dawn Received on Sat Aug 27 2005 - 16:05:26 CEST

Original text of this message