Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2005 23:56:22 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > dawn wrote:
>
> > > So, is this wikipedia entry correct?
> >
> > I didn't read the whole thing, but what I did read was crap.
>
> I didn't read the whole thing either, but the part I read sounded ok to me.
> What did you think was crap?

"But the query performance in fully normalized relational databases can be quite poor. For instance, to find the address of the user named Bob, these implementations may look up Bob in the USER table, find his "primary key" (the login name), and then search the ADDRESS table for that key. Although this appears to be a single operation to the user, in most implementations it requires a complex and time consuming search through the tables."

Complex and time consuming; yeah right. Two indexed lookups.

Marshall Received on Sat Aug 27 2005 - 01:56:22 CDT