Re: <bits OT> dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:45:27 GMT

"BobTheDataBaseBoy" <"xxx at rcn dot com"> wrote in message news:hJWdneyPOJexTZbeRVn-uw_at_rcn.net...
> David Cressey wrote:

> > Programmers will always gravitate towards viewing the data in "their
> > databases" as their private bailiwick, and insist that users of the
data
> > access it through their own API. Learning SQL is certainly better than
> > learning a hundred programmer's different APIs.
> >
> can you please go yell at the knuckleheads i work with?? half are
> COBOL/VSAM
> refugees of an older age. the other half are java/object folks of a
> much younger age. neither half realizes that they both do the same
> thing. it is very frustrating to hear talk of "open systems". blech.

For $100 an hour, I'll go yell at knuckleheads. For $10 an hour, I won't. I'm sorry to be so crass about it, but that's the way I feel about such an activity.

I used to teach "Rdb Programming and Design" for DEC as a contractor, after I left their employ. Some of the programmers taking the course were knuckleheads, some weren't. Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 14:45:27 CEST

Original text of this message