Re: Advice on SQL and records

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:27:01 GMT

<fran_beta_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124611376.749896.208510_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I'm teaching in computing. A question appeared in a trial paper
> recently and I'm trying to establish whether the suggested answer is
> correct.
>
> The question was:
>
> SELECT Students.Surname, Students.Name
> FROM Courses, Classes, StudentClasses, Students
> WHERE Courses.CourseID="10MA"
>
> AND
> Courses.CourseID=Classes.CourseID
> AND
> Classes.ClassID=StudentClasses.ClassID AND
>
> StudentClasses.StudentID=STudents.StudentID
>
> ORDER BY Students.Surname, Students.Name
>

> Which of the tables is likely to contain the most records?
>
> The suggested answer from Courses; Classes; StudentClassses and
> Students was:
>
> StudentClasses
>
> How would this be determined? Why wouldn't Students contain the most
> records?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fran

Ooops! I didn't get it until I read the question again. Ignore my earlier response The correct answer is that none of the SQL tables contain any records. SQL tables contain rows rather than records.

In my own defense, I did use the word "rows" rather than "records" in my analysis of probable cardinalities. Received on Mon Aug 22 2005 - 15:27:01 CEST

Original text of this message